Saturday, March 10, 2012

I'm not going to grovel for crumbs.


I’ve been reading the gospels with the bishop of Mississippi and now twice I have seen the story of the Canaanite woman coming to Jesus asking for her daughter to be healed. It has bothered me both times. He answers her pleas for help with the statement, “It is not fair to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs.” She responds with something along the lines of “but even dogs eat the crumbs of the table.” After that statement, Jesus heals the woman’s daughter.
            I did some searching on google and there are some that say this was a way to prove that not everything asked for is granted immediately. That theory doesn’t suffice in my book. Jesus was extremely mean and the way this story unfolds is unfair. This woman has to prove to Jesus that she’s worthy. If you look at it, that can translate into we have to prove we are worthy of salvation and healing. This goes against everything we are taught about grace. Grace is not earned, it is there for those who accept it. Basically this woman, after being belittled and called a dog, shrugs it off and replies with a kind of desperation. I don’t know about you, but if God or Jesus belittled me, I don’t think I would take that in stride. I’d walk away and not look back.
            Something else I couldn’t shake was how closely this can compare to the way that most of the wider Christian world views homosexuality. I’m assuming that because the woman in the gospel was a Canaanite it colored things differently and presented a general negative stereotype. Homosexuality has a similar negative stereotype, one that often results in hatred and discrimination. Some feel that being a homosexual should deny that person salvation, that it is an unforgivable sin. The “God hates fags” group and many others see gay people as if their sexuality were the only thing about them.
            In this whole discourse about gay rights politically and gay rights in the church (to marry, to be ordained), time and again the gay community is told that we should be examples of great Christians and citizens to prove to others that we are indeed people deserving of equal rights.
            How is that not different than Jesus only healing after the woman proves her faith. She’s called a dog and she has to then convince Jesus that she’s not and that she’s faithful. Gay people are called dogs (much worse, in most cases) and treated as though they are not deserving of rights, let alone salvation and the love of God and fellow Christians. So, in that vein, I have to prove myself to be a good person to debunk the stereotype of Godless homosexuals.
            I shouldn’t have to prove myself to be a good Christian before I am granted the ability to get married in the church or to be ordained in the church. I should have those rights even if I am a horrible person. These rights, like grace, shouldn’t be earned, they should just be there. Unconditionally.
            I’m getting tired of responding that, “even dogs eat the crumbs of the table.” That table is God’s table and I’m a child of God. I’m not going to grovel at the feet of those who want to deny me the food of salvation because I don’t have to grovel for God’s grace. Homosexuals and those in the queer community shouldn’t have to grovel and prove themselves, but in this world at this moment, that’s exactly what we’re being told is the best thing to do.

Wise up world. God grants all people grace, unconditionally. It’s about damn time you do the same.

2 comments:

  1. I think the interpretation of this scripture as an indicator that you have to "prove" yourself to God is a bad interpretation. Instead, the scripture speaks more to the scope of the ministry of Jesus - primarily to the Israelites. The language used in both Matthew and Mark are to illustrate that Jesus' ministry was first to the Israelites and second to everyone one else. Taking that into account, it paints the actions of Jesus in a very different way. Instead of turning the woman away simply because she was not an Israelite, Christ grants the woman her request - which is a clear illustration of Grace being given without it being tied to a specific condition.

    As such, the scripture actually supports everything else in your argument regarding equal rights for all people in the Church and within society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To continue the reflection, I actually think that story is a hopeful one. I don't know if Jesus turned her away at first because he was prioritizing his ministry. We have many examples, particularly in John, of Jesus first revealing himself to outsiders, or outsiders recognizing him before the holy and learned (esp. Pharisees and Saduccees). Rather, I take away from this that our advocacy with God has a real impact, and that's what gives me hope. God doesn't need us to prove ourselves, but gives us the freedom to be our real selves into the covenant. It speaks to a close relationship.
    So, we have yet another person who shouldn't be able to recognize Jesus who does, and for some strange reason, Jesus refuses her at first. Why? Is this one of those moments that in order for God's will to be ultimately revealed, it has to look like it has been thwarted? Or did she see something that Jesus didn't?
    She must have been frustrated and angry with him, but she didn't give up. It reminds me of Jesus' parable about the man who will get up in the middle of the night to give his neighbor bread for his late-night guest. He doesn't do it out of hospitality or friendship, but because of the neighbor's persistence. Don't give up Margaret! There are so many people (gay and straight) praying and advocating to the Lord and to the powers on earth about the same things that matter to you. Maybe God did need some convincing. And maybe God is the one persisting against the powers that be through us.

    ReplyDelete