Wednesday, August 25, 2010

One Week Away

So it's one week away from the epic plane flight/move to California. I've almost got everything in order for the flight. My things have been dispersed for the most part between Goodwill, friends and strangers who bought my stuff from craigslist. It's kind of amazing, this whole process of narrowing down my things to what's important to me. I highly suggest it to anyone who wants to spend some time hunkering (is that a word?) down and making some tough decisions. Books. That's been the hardest one. I've avoided going through them again. I'm going to mail three boxes out before me to CA, but in all likelihood have about five boxes of books that haven't been finalized as "dad's crawlspace" or "my books in CA." It's tough.

Also, I'm about to head out on an epic road trip. Nashville. Sewanee. Back to Oxford. Then maybe Jackson?... All in the span of a weekend. I just figure I need to get the driving bug out of my system. Granted, it's not in my car, it's in my sister's (thanks, Jane-Claire), but still, once I arrive in CA, I will not have a car. Mine's been sold and I don't plan on buying one until I have a job that I can afford to have one/live in a place where it makes sense to have one.

I think I've just gotten to the point where I'm ready to be settling in somewhere. Having my things occupy space in the living room of my Dad's place is kind of unsettling. I want those things to have homes. I guess I won't have to wait long. In the meantime, I'm going to try and visit with as many friends as possible before I leave (and also work in some Dad time too, provided he's not exposing me to fox news). I know I'll miss home. I'll miss the South. I'll miss family and friends, but in all honesty, this is going to be one hell of an adventure for me. Challenging, yes. But an adventure nonetheless.

Here's to adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment