Monday, October 18, 2010

We are... Nomadic

So. I'm 25, right? Quarter of a century old. Born in 1985 and the world is radically different. I had cassette tapes that would buzz in my walkman whenever my mom would use her car phone- which came in a bag that was the size of my backpack. Now jr. high students have cell phones and some people don't even have landlines anymore. Technology is moving at a high pace...

...I digress...

Speaking from where I am right now in my life, I am nomadic. I am searching for a place to call home, a person to share that home with, and a meaningful engagement and improvement of the world around me. This might sound like navel gazing, but I think that it's an important realization.

Now. I work for the church. And largely, the established church is one in which from kindergarten (sometimes earlier) till senior year of high school, you are supported and formed in doctrine and practices and community.

But, what happened to me... and what has happened to a lot of folk my age, once reaching college is this sentiment:

"See you back in church when you're a real adult and have a family"

Now. Quite frankly, that pisses me off. Especially if the church also says the mantra, "youth are the future of the church".... pardon my language, but that's bull. The youth, the young adults...


ugh. we are ALL part of the body of the church. Stop ignoring us!

God (theology warning) chose the nomadic people to be his chosen people... The Hebrews were CONSTANTLY moving and not very happy with it...

"By the waters of Babylon we sat down and wept, when we remembered you, O Zion,
As for our harps, we hung them up on the trees in the midst of that land.
For those who led us away captive asked us for a song, and our oppressors called for mirth:
"Sing us one of the songs of Zion"
HOW SHALL WE SING THE LORD'S SONG UPON AN ALIEN SOIL?
If I forget you, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget its skill.
Let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth if I do not remember you,
if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy.
Remember the day of Jerusalem, O Lord,
against the people of Edom,
who said, "Down with it! Down with it! even to the ground!"
O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy the one who pays you back for what you have done to us!
Happy shall he be who takes your little ones, and dashes them against the rock"

psalm 137

Ya know, half of that isn't in the Episcopal Lectionary. Want to know why? Because the idea that God's people could be so angry that they would harm children is not pleasant. Well, newsflash: Christianity wasn't meant to be pleasant. Duh!

And so, Jerusalem (follow me a lil here)- childhood attention and incorporation into the church and formation... is taken down to the ground... to give us "space" to figure things out.

What the hell? Really?

So here we are, nomadic in our "young adult" stage of life, trying to figure out who we are, what we want, what God wants... and the church is ignoring us.. is tearing down our community....



God is with us, and if you're not... you should reconsider your commitment to your baptismal covenant.

Sorry.

This is very close to me.

As lay ministers, we are all the first order of ministers in the church- and as such, we should all read the ordination service.

BECAUSE, it is our call to respect the dignity and worth of all human beings.

Even if they're in a frat, even if they're a hipster, even if they work in a cubicle and just graduated from college.

Especially in those cases, for we are God's chosen ones and the so called, "future of the church"

so... put your money and time and gifts where you're mouths are or shut up.

This might be harsh, but I keep hearing the same thing all over.. In MS, in CA, in friends of all places... we're looking for something and we're coming up short because it feels like nobody cares until we have kids and careers and spouses... ugh.

4 comments:

  1. Well said, friend. Go change the Church, one piece at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets talk soon,this is actually a conversation I have been going over in my head for the past few days. We got into it during one of my classes, and I have realized over time that most of the ideas, that have been well meaning attempts at capturing the imaginations of our generation, are being created by folks from a different generation. I couldn't relate so I was just never interested. I too heard and still hear the "you go off to college and we will see you again on the other side." That is BS by the way, because it is, like you pointed out, just saying we don't really care what you do during this time. But we should care what everyone is doing at every stage in their lives, especially during the most formative times in their live such as college, or just after college. In truth we drop the ball well before they go off to college in many cases. Education is surprisingly not the strongest aspect of the Episcopal Church, although we are working to get better about it. Also, don't get me wrong there are a number of places that do great education, I just wish the whole church was great.I am optimistic.
    What we do have is the Sacraments. The one thing I heard over and over from my peers at State was their desire for Eucharist. Nothing spruced up and different, but a chance to gather together as a community and partake in the Renewal and Regeneration of our Baptismal Vows which we receive in the Eucharist.
    Sorry, I am tired and ranting now. I may have been placing my own desires on other people's lips just now, because not everyone felt that way.I do, however, remember hearing it on several occasions.
    Alright, it is past my bedtime, call me, I want to talk about this. Pray for the Church. God Bless, and thanks for your witness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think churches have become resigned to the fact that adults suddenly become way more interested in church when confronted either with the awe of having a baby, or the desire to "do the right thing" and bring them to church. It's very real phenomenon, as is the loss of interest in young adulthood (although that's not a universal truth). But spiritual needs don't just disappear for a decade. What can our church do differently? There is always a need to keep bringing in marginalized groups to the community, so keep proclaiming the needs of the young adult, and maybe the pastors will hear!

    ReplyDelete