Friday, October 1, 2010

Home

Ok.

Let's go ahead and talk about the elephant in the room.

Take the Southern raised girl out of the South and you get...?

Don't know yet.

However...

There's something I'm already butting up against and here it is: there are several kinds of transplants to this part of the world from the Southern United States. And while I won't go through and explain them, the one I don't understand is the Transplant who has based everything they see wrong with Society in the South...

Here's why I don't understand.

Yes. The South has a troubling history. Slavery (which, by the way, the north also had a big part in), Racism (which, by the way, is a problem ALL over the United States-and I speak about Racism not only in terms of black and white), poor education (California isn't that far ahead in National rankings), poor health... etc etc.

Here's the kicker. Most people in the South KNOW ALL OF THIS. Now, whether they choose to admit it out loud or just think it to themselves sometime, that's another issue. AND furthermore, the South, knowing the history (and continued legacy of these issues), is in an eternal state of becoming. Now, whether the South is becoming a better place or not is another question, but trying counts a lot in this case.

Other areas of this country use the South as a whipping post. Something and somewhere they can project and promote the stereotypes of bigotry, and therefore, not notice their own issues. No place is perfect. Take the damn log out of your own eye before you remove the speck in someone else's...

And you know what? It's ok to not like the South. I understand that Southern people have done many hurtful things and that's not ok. BUT, (speaking from my Christian formation) I feel compelled to love the South, not entirely like Jesus has called us to love our enemies. You don't have to like. I don't have to like everything the South represents and everything the South has done and does etc. But, I love it. I love it in the way that sometimes I want to whomp it outside its head. And sometimes I want to hug it.

Also, the South, whether or not I love it and definitely whether or not I like it, is my home. And that has influenced who I am and who I will be. Just to clarify, though, I like it and love my home.

Ugh.

1 comment: