Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Public Transit is a funny thing

I've noticed that the hours in which I have to travel between Berkeley and San Francisco, and thus, hop on the BART or the TransBay bus, or MUNI, whatever... are the hours when the crazies are in full swing. For example:

Waiting on a bus, I notice two girls clad in metallic bronze, faces and exposed skin to match, silently holding a sign saying, "Faeryland or Bust" and posing as a statue.

Riding the bus back home today, noticing a man talking WAY too much on his cell phone to actually be holding a conversation. My theory is (and this might be a stretch) that (judging by his seemingly sermon-eske rants) he poses as talking on a cell phone to talk loudly about the declining state of American life from the "Christian way of America" in order to influence those around him.

Let's see. Then there was a dude who had no idea:
a. where he was
b. where he needed to go
c. where his shirt was...

...but he boarded the bus I was on anyway.

So, it might be that California has eccentrics, but something tells me they're on their A-game when I'm around. Just a thought.

2 comments:

  1. You always bring out the best in people. The guy with the cell phone reminded me of a character from this great kids' book, _The Boy Who Saved Baseball_ by John Ritter. There's a character, Hollis B, who "had a habit of walking through town, waving his arms, holding lively conversations with imaginary people." So the sheriff gave him a broken cell phone so he could rant and rave around town and "be no more annoying than a real estate agent." I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last person could have been almost any Sewanee student on a normal weekend, you should have felt at home. :)

    But be careful of the crazies, when I was in DC the craziest person I met on public transportation turned out to be the church's resident crazy guy.

    ReplyDelete