Sunday, September 12, 2010

All Souls', Berkeley

Trumpets, Banjos and a parade of children. Oh my.

We visited All Souls', Berkeley today for their 10 am service. There were the following instruments used in the service:

banjo
organ
piano
trumpet
guitar
mandolin
washtub bass
washboard

The music. Incredible. Even more incredible was the willingness and enthusiasm of the congregation to sing along with the hymns.

Children were incorporated in the service. They even had a processional song for their entrance. The proximity to the University made a seemingly diverse crowd and there are many programs set in place for the parish.

I don't know if it was the trumpet or the childrens' sermon, but something about All Souls' felt like home. Of course it is way too early to pick a parish as a parish home.

But.. it felt right.

I have to remind myself that there is still a month of church visitations to see the diversity of the diocese. One thing that is remarkably clear is that there are a TON of ordained priests in this diocese. And not enough churches.

Tomorrow, I meet with my supervisor, a contractor comes to do some finishing touches and that's my Monday.

All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment