Saturday, December 11, 2010

Ideas for Personal Statement

Ok, so here are some beginnings for the personal statement:

I am a musician by trade. I am a reader by trade. I am rebellious. But before all those things were established, I became a historian. My freshman year at Sewanee I believed I would be an Environmental Policy major, funneling into an Environmental lawyer. I saw myself as a renegade, being brought in by the National Resource Defense Center as a hail Mary when all things subsided, bringing down those who sought to destroy our Earth, our island home. But then, in the midst of that track, I took an Environmental History class. Not only did I discover that I did in fact love history, I discovered I had a knack for it.
 After completing my bachelor's in history, I decided once again to be a renegade and not funnel into a PhD program for history, but instead take a Master's in Southern Studies. I found it crucial to understand the interdisciplinary nature of History, to understand the cultural shifts that caused people to consider their options for their choices, ultimately culminating in our history. With my Master's I focused on Civil Rights' history from several angles: Education and Restorative Justice, the History of the Civil Rights Movement and finally with an internship assisting in a Youth Organizing tradition.
 Completing my Master's I once again bucked against the system and decided I want to work for the Episcopal Church. I found myself in California, trying to be the Southern Ambassador, trying to explain to people that in the South, we do have things to offer. Trying to explain that the movie 'Mississippi Burning' was not at all historically accurate. I faced discrimination and rebelled against it, ultimately moving back home down South. In the midst of that move, I realized that I do indeed want my PhD in History.
 I want my PhD in history simply because I can tell the story of the underdog and the rebel at the same time. I have those skills because I am that underdog and rebel. Storytelling is in my blood and I feel there aren't enough stories told about those discriminated against for reasons beyond their control. Stories about those who risked everything to buck against the system that turned the other way. Please consider my renegade underdog application. Thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment